Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Vegtastic in the South?

Recently my sister and I took a weekend excursion to the charming Savannah, GA. We stayed at the Ballastone Inn, a beautiful b&b perfectly situated in the heart of the town. We enjoyed a hearty breakfast of steel cut oats and fruit each morning at our little table by the window, as the sun poured over us and called us to explore the town.
We enjoyed the cozy fireplace at our inn at "tea time":
We soaked in the Savannah nightlife as well. Much to everyone's surprise, we won trivia at a local Irish pub, Murphy's Law. I cheered my sister on at karaoke, and we danced the chilly nights away! We really enjoyed the quirky yet unpretentious Savannah charm.
The best part (well, one of the best parts), was all the delicious veg-friendly food we discovered! (Yes, a little surprising in the home of Paula Dean!) Our first stop was a little cafe off the beaten path called The Sentient Bean. It reminded me of the hipster-esque cafe I used to frequent in Tallahassee, both with their mismatched dishes, vegan food options, good coffee, and do-it-yourself clean up. I enjoyed a curried tofu salad and cup of soup, while Jess had a vegan breakfast burrito. 

We dined at a restaurant that I used to frequent in Jacksonville before that location closed ;'( called Ruan Thai. We both enjoyed the Thom Yum soup (my mouth is watering now thinking about it!) and a Tofu-Vegetable Mussaman Curry. 

The next night we got a little dressed up for our dinner date at Corleone's. This Godfather inspired restaurant was much nicer and less over-the-top than we had anticipated. I was pleased to be able to order something right off the menu without altering it; I got the Broccoli Linguini. Jess ordered the Eggplant Parm. without cheese, and they were very accommodating. We both enjoyed our meals thoroughly!

On our way out of town, we stopped for one last fantastic meal. Now, this story is a bit embarrassing, but I"ll tell it anyway. The whole trip (and weeks leading up to it) I had been telling my sister about one thing I really wanted to do that I read about, and that was to go to Green Truck Pub, which I mistakenly thought was a food truck. When we finally arrived at the GPS location on our way out of town, we were surprised to find not a food truck, but a regular restaurant! We ate there anyway and were definitely not disappointed! I had the house-made veggie burger with veg. chili on it. It was not a pretty picture to watch me try to eat this sloppy mess, but it...was...delicious! Jess had their freshly made french fries and ketchup. Mmmmmm :)

Savannah proved to be a feast for all our senses and a memory we will never forget!


No comments:

Post a Comment